Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Trains, Dows and Hampton, Iowa

Last night at our small campfire, I noticed a light moving down the road. Well, all of a sudden it blew its horn!  It was a train.  I love trains...  I was so excited to hear the clankity clank of the wheels and especiall the horn as it passed a crossing.  Eric is not as excited, he really likes the peace and quite at home.  The horn did not blow again until about 4 am this morning.  I did hear the trains going by and enjoyed the sounds.

We took a 2 mile hike around the lake.  we spotted a few birds but not any new to us. 




Headed out to Dows Iowa after our hike..


we stopped at the welcome center/historical center that was a refurbished train depot.  After a quick tour with Dick we went across the street to the Blacksmith shop.


The owner gave it to the historical society when he retired.


Dick tried to show me how to use the anvil!

 
6 foot bellows...
 
 
there was a praire house that had 12 people living it it, the house had two stories, one room per floor.  the house was moved to town..
 
 
The mom and dad slept on the top and the children slept in the drawers!  For one the bed is way too small for two people and two, put the kids in a drawer?? 
 
 
We headed to Hampton to the historical museum, they had a lot of rooms and a lot of old and interesting stuff.  we did not take any photos there...
 
lunch was at
 
 
the food was pretty uneventful.. so no pictures..
 
we will leave here tomorrow.  not too much more to see and I am really wanting a bit warmer weather..  60 sounds good right now..


4 comments:

  1. I love that bed. But I'm glad I didn't have to sleep in it, either as a child or a parent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the truth! they sure lived such a simple life back then, can you imagine each child not having their own room today?? much less sleeping in a drawer.

      Delete
  2. I'm with you guys, no privacy for either the kids or their parents. Wonder how you get so many kids when there is no alone time??? I guess you had to be very creative. ha ha

    ReplyDelete